Monday, June 6, 2011

Buckets of Blue

The three sizes of blue BP pill bottles

 You just never know when some amazing bottle will just fall in your lap.  I was at work slaving away when a coworker of mine walks in with a small cardboard box that looked liked it had been soaked and dried about a hundred times.  "Bar, can you use these?"  I looked in the box and there were about 20 small, blue, turn of the century pill bottles marked B. P. & Co.  This was a bottle I had found before and was an easy sale for a few dollars.  "Sure" I responded, "Where did you get them?"  "Over at the Bond job, the're all over the place" he said.  As you can guess I headed over there right after work to check out the situation.  Unbelievable!  There must have been tens of thousands of these things laying all over the place.  I filled two five gallon buckets in about a half hour (three or four hundred bottles), figured I had a lifetime supply, and left.  The next day they covered it all over and the bottle bonanza was gone.
  Here's the interesting part.  First of all, it was not a lifetime supply.  I sold every one of those cute little bottles in about a month (Where did they all go?).  Second of all, when I was cleaning them I discovered that one of them was amber.  This is an extremely rare bottle that may be unique, at least after 41 years of bottle collecting I have never seen another.  I kept for my collection one of each size of the cobalt blue examples and of course the one amber example.  Every time I drive by that place all I can think of is the uncountable number of bottles buried under the side lawn of that building, now senior housing.

Extremely rare amber BP pill bottle

3 comments:

  1. NEAT!!!

    My husband and I once came home with a trunk full of old bottles that we dug up near a friend's cabin in the Poconos. Most were from the 30s-40s. Unfortunately, we lived in a teeny weeny apt and had to move several times, so all the bottles got given away and recycled. Had we had a home or storage, we would have definitely kept them. This was also before Etsy and Ebay so there wasn't any on-line selling.

    Where do you go? Don't you need permission to go out and bottle hunt?

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barry, this is a great bottle story. Don't you wish you saved more? Smile! The amber bottle is very pretty but I do love the blue.
    Keep on digging!
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting hobby you have! Treasure hunting! I'm so glad you have rescued all these beautiful artifacts. Have a nice day! Twyla

    ReplyDelete