Monday, May 30, 2011

Where are bottles found?


  The single most common question I get when people find out what I do is "Where do you find the bottles?".  To be honest with you the answer could easily be everywhere.  I have discovered them walking through the woods near some old houses buried a few inches under some leaves. I have spent countless days digging 5, 10, even 15 feet underground into some 100 year old town dumps.  I have dug hundreds of outhouse holes long filled in that often have bottles residing in the bottom.  I have even been driving down the road and spotted construction projects with glass shimmering all over the place.  One time I saw a massive tree that fell over and in the root ball about 10 feet off the ground there where 3 very rare local 1890's soda bottles that I needed a ladder to retrieve.  Sometimes great bottles are found in the walls, crawlspaces and attics of old structures. Wherever I go I keep my eyes open and when I least expect it  . . . . . .  Like the time I was walking on the boardwalk in Spring Lake after a storm.  The sand had eroded the dunes and 100 year old bottles where sticking out all over the place!  I took off my shirt, tied off the sleeves and filled my new bag with 20 -25 new acquisitions.  

4 comments:

  1. Barry, I love your new blog! I can't wait to read some of your stories!! Thank you for sharing..xo Tami

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always to hear about the pieces you find, and the history of them. I am going to really enjoy following your blog... Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, who knew? I need to take more walks in the woods, never know what you can find!
    Great new blog!
    Cheers,
    Margaret B

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on your new blog...it is so interesting...I will definitely be following...
    happy digging.....

    ReplyDelete